Saturday, April 14, 2018

Lessons from the DMV

I had to take my daughter to renew her driver’s license at Motor Vehicle. If there is anything that approaches my dread of going to the dentist, DMV would have to be right up there.  While we waited, I noticed that one of the clerks seemed different than the others. He was very friendly to his customers (clients, visitors, guests? I don’t know what we are called.)  He was funny and engaging and helpful.  I was hoping that Alli would get him when her number was called and she did.  Alli went up to the counter and I watched the man ask questions to get to know her, and then show genuine interest about Baylor and her major.  It made me think about a few things.  

Colossians 3:23 says “Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance.” Whether we are CEO of a Fortune 500 company or an employee at DMV, we can work heartily as for the Lord.  This man exemplified that principle.  

Another thing that I thought was that this man took time to get to know individuals that he will likely never see again.  After Alli was done, he said, “I’ll see you in 6 years.”   That was a very nice way to end their business and it made Alli and me smile.  It’s not often that you leave DMV with a smile on your face.  If taking time to build a relationship in a one-time, five-minute business interaction can have that kind of effect, how much more effect will it have if we take time to build relationships with people we see every day.  What effect could we have on our neighbors, co-workers, friends and family if we were willing to invest in our relationships with them.  

Finally, I saw a man that was content in his work. Ecclesiastes 5:18-19 says: “Here is what I have seen to be good and fitting: to eat, to drink and enjoy oneself in all one’s labor in which he toils under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward. Furthermore, as for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, He has also empowered him to eat from them and to receive his reward and rejoice in his labor; this is the gift of God.”  No matter what God has given us to do, it is a gift from Him and we ought to do His work with joy and enthusiasm.  

I rarely did this while working as an attorney because I didn’t like what I was doing. I say that to my own shame and conviction. God never said do your work heartily if you like your work, or enjoy oneself in your labor if you like your work.  He wants us to do what we do as unto Him and to serve others as we would serve Him. You may not love your job, and even most people who like their jobs don’t like them every day.  God calls us to serve Him and serve others and shine the light that He has given us to the world, and that includes in our work.  I pray that we would all try to view our work interactions as evangelism opportunities, and opportunities to be salt and light in a dark world.  You never know who is watching you work, and the effect that you might have on another by your attitude toward your work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The King of the Dump

I recently switched from Directv to Spectrum.  I had a very old TV that is not compatible with Spectrum’s HDMI only cable boxes.  So I boug...